Cynthia Alexander is a singer-songwriter, composer and guitar player with a cult following in her native Philippines. Her move to Seattle in 2012 made national news and initiated a widespread conversation about the state of independent music in the Philippines. Throughout her 20-year career, Cynthia has released three studio albums and a live album, and collaborated on the acclaimed jazz-electronica-folk-world project HUMANFOLK.
She got her start playing bass and vocals for the rock band Hayp, and then playing Philippine indigenous percussion and bass with her brother's band Joey Ayala at ang Bagong Lumad (The New Native). In 2012, Cynthia composed a feature-length score for the Ballet Philippines’ production Pusong Wagas. In 2013, she played at Lincoln Center with the Brooklyn-Manila project, created by two time Grammy Nominee cellist Dave Eggar and drummer/producer Chuck Palmer of DEORO.
2015 Jack Daniel’s On Stage Indie Icon Award
NU 107 Rock Awards
The biggest and most anticipated rock awards show, sponsored by the Manila- based radio station NU 107.
* PRODUCER OF THE YEAR( Comet's Tail, 2005)
* BEST GUITAR PLAYER( Comet's Tail, 2005)
* FEMALE ROCK ICON( 2004)
* SONG OF THE YEAR(“ Motorbykle,” 2001)
Katha Music Awards
The nation's premier music awards, equitable to the American Grammy Awards.
* BEST WORLD MUSIC COMPOSITION(“ Kawikaan,” 2002)
* ALBUM OF THE YEAR( Rippingyarns, 2001)
* BEST ALTERNATIVE MUSIC ALBUM( 2001)
* PRODUCER OF THE YEAR
* BEST ALBUM DESIGN( Rippingyarns, 2001)
* RECORD OF THE YEAR( Rippingyarns, 2001)
* SONG OF THE YEAR(“ Intertwyne,” 2001)
* BEST ALTERNATIVE MUSIC VOCAL PERFORMANCE( 2001)
* BEST ALTERNATIVE MUSIC COMPOSITION( 2001)
* BEST- ENGINEERED RECORDING( 2001)
* BEST NEW ARTIST( 1998)
* BEST ALTERNATIVE MUSIC SONG( 1998)
Metropop Song Festival
The Metro Manila Popular Music Festival was a songwriting contest that was organized by the Popular Music Foundation of the Philippines from 1977-2003.
* BEST WORLD MUSIC COMPOSITION(“ Kawikaan,” 2001)
World Band Explosion
A high-profile international band contest held in Tokyo and hosted by Jon Bon Jovi.
* BEST BASSIST( 1989)
Yamaha Band Explosion
A national band contest. Finalists continued to the World Band Explosion in Tokyo.
* BEST BASSIST( 1989)
Like Cynthia Alexander on Facebook:
‘Known for introspective lyrics that sound like deep conversations with the listener, Alexander has succeeded in crafting music that’s distinctly Asian in character, anchored on elements of Malay and Indian ethnic, yet warmly assimilates Western influences such as jazz and the blues, with a nice touch of classical to boot.’
— Philippine Daily Inquirer
Photo courtesy of: Roxanne Nebres
'Cynthia Alexander is known within small but fiercely loyal circles for her poetic lyrics, haunting melodies and uncompromising artistry.'
— Yahoo Philippines